Friday, May 30, 2014

Feeling Inspired

I am currently in the picturesque Blue Ridge mountains staying at the Omni Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. Today I toured the Biltmore mansion and had dinner on the estate. It is absolutely gorgeous here! And to top it off, I’m being paid to enjoy the view! My work is hosting a conference on the “forecast of legal education” and so far….I am pretty impressed!


This morning we had a speaker name Scott Stratton. He is a hilarious Canadian and he recently published a book called Unmarketing. His advice for marketing is: Do something worth talking about. He really inspired and made me think about how we view marketing, communication, and social media.

This year I’ve decided to take a different intention with my session choices and I’m looking for things to expand my worldview and challenge me “outside the admissions box”. I have to say, so far, so good. I attended a session titled: Effective Management Strategies. I am a manager. I’m also an employee. I hoped this session would share some insight into how to better effectively manage and engage my colleagues on a daily basis. Boy am I glad I did. Carmen Canales is the head of Human Resources at Wake Forest University. She has worked for Wachovia and Pepsi Cola and has been recently named one of the top women to watch in several polls. I can agree that she is amazing. She is down–to-earth, matter-of-fact, practical, and real. Her challenge was: What can you do to rise to occasion?

Some of her tips included: be creative, Kaizen, be an advocate, show compassion, model inclusiveness, and others; but my favorite of her top 10 was the ever present battle of Priorities v. Balance. Her take on this battle is to worry less about the boundaries and more about remaining steadfast in the priorities, and to understand that priorities shift. She had us complete an exercise where we wrote down our 5 priorities. That was it. No guidelines. No rules. No distinctions. Was this our 5 priorities for work? 5 priorities for life? She would not define. So we took 3 minutes and wrote them down. Then she asked us if that was easy. Only a few people raised their hands. She actually said that it was good that some of us struggled, but encouraged that with age, comes clarity. For many, their priorities revolved around their family: spouse, partner, children, health. For others, especially the younger crowd, we overlooked one very important priority: our self. Again, she commented that usually, putting ourselves on the list comes with time. It is interesting, especially as a woman who is working hard to make her mark in the world, that putting oneself on the top 5 priority list doesn’t compute. But then, that might be where the balance comes into the equation. Understanding your priorities, taking steps to remain steadfast in them, might actually be the key to finding the balance in life.

One final step. She encouraged us to reevaluate our priorities on a regular basis. For some this could be monthly, for many it could be bi-annually. Another great suggestion offered by our fabulous moderator was to do this exercise with your partner to ensure that your priorities are in line and you understand what the goals are. They don’t have to be the same priorities, but you should know how to support and advocate for your partner’s priorities if only to bring them and your relationship happiness and balance.

I encourage you to take 3 minutes and write down your priorities. They can be as broad or as specific as you choose. But write them and keep them somewhere that encouraged you to remain steadfast in them.

What did I write down?

  1. Prompt communication
  2. Make others feel valued
  3. Be grounded in faith
  4. Live a life that inspires
  5. Maintain openness to new opportunities

Will they change? I’m sure. Did I include myself? I think I meant to in #3. Am I happy with this? ... For now. #Brave

No comments: